Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mountain and Spirit

"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Sir Edmund Hillary

It has been a while since my last post. I was too busy with my current full-time Masters amidst other little endeavours. Anyway, not to say I am very free now, just taking a break from reading the piles of articles and textbooks .

The title of this post sounded iffy but I thought I would like to do some reflections on the Sabah Adventure Challenge that I got myself into some time back.

It has been close to two months since the race. It was tough, terrain was undulating, and weather was ever-changing, from scorching sun (literally scorching at the temp of 38 deg celsius) to torrential rain. I shan't go into the details, there are very good reviews of the race written by some of the fellow participants; and if you really want to know what the race is like, the best way is to ... experience it, first hand! B)

Perhaps, I would like to share my takeaways from this race.

Mentally and physically prepared
I found it out the hard way. Being sufficiently prepared for any endurance races, or for that matter, anything we do, is very important; especially for those who want to embark on such races or any runs (since running is fast becoming a popular sports). However, as the experts say, start slow and increase training gradually. have proper gear and most importantly, rest and nutrition. I always feel encouraging for people around me to take up running and sports, but I always feel that we should not jump onto the bandwagon because everyone else is doing. If not, it may become a chore once the initial excitement dies off.

mental toughness
I have always enjoyed pushing myself beyond my boundaries, be it at work or personal life, namely physical. Sadistic perhaps? I must admit that I have not been mentally tough in my younger days but I am always intrigued by how much stress I can take. So, I have chosen some unusual paths; well, I still enjoy teaching, so career wise, I am still within the education fraternity, but I chose to resign to join an independent school after 6 yrs and then returned to the mainstream system again after 3 years. no regrets because I have seen and learned alot.

Personally, I guess I like to push myself physically and mentally, taking part in many running races and later duathlons, has been something I enjoyed and continues to do so. Taking part in this race, was like what I told many that it was a spur of moment and a moment of craziness when I signed up. However, subconsciously, I sense that it is something in me, that urge to challenge myself, that made me click that register button.

And man, I have no regrets at all, and I won't mind taking part again. crazy fellow.

But what impressed me were the mental toughness that fellow competitors/participants displayed throughout the race, the struggles with their bikes (for the adventure racers), the muddy conditions, the long slippery downhill slides through rubber plantations, the muddy slopes up the hamburger hill, the scorching sun, the long undulating tracks. Somehow, we made it through the two/three day course.

Not forgetting the relentless efforts of the organisers and volunteers to make this race as smooth and enjoyable for the competitors/participants.

In some way or another, while it is an adventure race, it is, to me, also a display of the human spirit, in awe of Nature.

Appreciate little things in life
In someway or another, I have learned to appreciate the little things in life more and more now. In this race, I was enjoying the breathtaking sights of the mountains and clouds, taking in the fresh air, appreciating the little pebbles on the tracks and the muddy puddles (no matter how irritating they might be at first sight), the little children who cheered and ran with us up the steep slopes in their bare feet or slippers. In the home of Helena which I was residing with a few other competitors, life is so simple. As a city dweller cooped up in a highly urbanised city, can I (or can we) slow down and appreciate little things and beauty in life? Why am I (are we) always saying that but yet failing to do so often?

Now, I have a new challenge ahead of me, going back to the books has been tougher than expected. I have a genuine scorn for exams (personally, I don't see the purpose of exams at this level); and well, I can truly empathise with my students who are being weighed down by high-stake national exams. But reading, which is one of my enjoyment - not for exams of course, has been intense.

I think I display more self-discipline in running and cycling (and swimming) than my studies at the moment. haha, time to strike a balance.

bye.


No comments: