Saturday, October 15, 2011

Break All Boundaries



This is not an understatement, at least for me. This race, like all races I have taken part in so far, is a challenge of my mental resolve and physical limits, and this one especially, was one that giving up flashed across my mind several times.

TNF 100 was the 3rd race that challenged my running's comfort zone (the other races being 2009 84km sundown and Sabah 60km (which adds up to 75km)Trail run) earlier this year. Mich and many asked me, why do I take part in such races to "torture" myself (I mean now I am limping around the house). I guess, I like to challenge my boundaries, such challenges bring out the best and the worst (my weaknesses) in me and forced me to reflect, for the better.

I have said before that I was ill-prepared for this race, even though I have been running at MacRitchie for a number of times pushing the mileage to 30km. worse still, I suffered a bruised twisted ankle which has not fully recovered. But nothing compares to the actual race. I have set my target to below 8 hrs but I was praying if I could go around 7 hrs, as I had wanted to use this race to gauge my readiness for a trail race in Melbourne.

I woke up pretty early, 4plus in the morning an hour earlier than my alarm, race anxiety perhaps. checked into the MacRitchie carpark at 5plus and decided to nap. met my last minute racing partner, who was superb.

fast forward, the race started well, with a consistent pace past rifle range to bukit timah trails, though quite a few of us made a wrong turn and ended covering an extra 1-2 km. Then things started to go wrong, somehow, I lost too much salt and cramps started to kick into my calf muscles and my ankle began to feel sore. persevere until mandai checkpoint, took a short break and headed into Gangsa trails. By then, i was depleted and my muscle cramps and ankle sore got worse, reducing my pace to brisk walking. By now, the sun was merciless, it was scorching ( i think temp was around 35 degree celsius; reminded me of sabah) and the trails was hilly and undulating. Checkpoint 5 was just before Mandai .265, the slope was very steep, but at least it was dry (I think nothing compares to the Hamburger Hill at Sabah with its slippery and muddy close-to-80-degree-angle slopes).

After that, it was briskwalking and trottling under the scorching sun with occasional running. by now, I was feeling very sleepy and tired and many a times, I felt like just stopping and to take a nap. Somehow, I refrained from this fleeting thought, and all I did was to tap on my resolve and mental strength to push on; at every pit stop, I reminded myself not to stay beyond 5 mins. At this point, I must thank all the TNF volunteers and especially non-race oragniser volunteers like run-to-eat for setting up a pit stop with a wonderful spread of food and drinks and cold towels, you guys are my saviour.

Once, I hit the ranger station, it is about 6 km to finish line, with a limping stride, I somehow found some strength (or whatever was left) to cover these last few kilometres and 3 final km of consistent (dragging) pace. mm... I am quite amazed where did I milk out that last ounce of strength.

50 (unofficially + 2km) in 7 hrs 47 mins. My racing partner did his (he also covered 52km) in 5 hrs 30 mins, wosh!

Though my end result in timing is not spectacular, but the experience is unforgettable.

congrats to all runners.

I survived, with a bee sting, a sore ankle and tight muscles. 8)

No comments: