Sunday, July 10, 2011

comfort zone

"Struggling and suffering are the essence of a life worth living. If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not demanding more from yourself - expanding and learning as you go - you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip."
Dean Karnazes (Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
)

Had a wonderful run from MacRitchie to Bukit Timah Hill and back, 26 km. First time venturing beyond the confines of MacRitchie, I always do the 11 km loops previously, so again it is about breaking away from my comfort zone. I was apprehensive at first, but once I hit the Rifle Range road, I say, OMG, no turning back now. 8)

Anyway, abit of nostalgia, reminiscent of Sabah trail run (though a mini version, I must say 8-)). it was tough (for me)especially along the winding rifle range road and certain parts with steep slopes, and it doesn't help when the heat from the mid-afternoon sun is scorching down. Guess I need to build mileage, have been doing more short runs and intervals.

But I must say, the scenery and the quietness along parts of the trails was refreshing and somehow, there is this "inner peace" settling down in me after a while; just throttling along the paths with no thoughts going through my mind; just taking in what's around me as the run unfolds itself, butterflies fluttering across the paths, occasional humming birds flying off from the shrubs along the trails and of course, lots of monkeys.

But I hit the wall after reaching the ranger station at MacRitchie on the return leg. Have to psyche myself up, "mind over body, mind over body" for the rest of the run.

On hindsight, this run kindaf epitomises the ups and downs in life. haha, trying to b philo, 8-P but I definitely encourage those who wants to do trails to take this route. Anyway, NF100 should be doing this and a lot of the serious runners would probably have done this countless times. 8) I am just a 'Country bump".

shall do more next week. shiok! 8)

No comments: