Saturday, July 23, 2011

Gift of life

"Two roads diverged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled" - Robert Frost

Got this title and the quote from Karnazes' book.

These past couple of weeks have been pretty uneventful, having term break now but need to rush for my assignments which I barely even started. But though uneventful it might be, I managed to devour 9 books; more than what I have read in the past one year. Most of the books were art and design books but I would like to talk abit about two books which I spent quite a while reading, one is dean karnazes "ultra-marathon man" and the other is Macca's "I'm here to win". They are autobiographies and yet the writing style was so much different; I would put it as Karnazes' subtleness in contrast to Macca's straight talking. But what underpins their writing is this intense passion and emotions that drive them to achieve what they aimed for and continue to do so. Their epic journeys in their sports (one is ultra marathons and endurance runs and the other triathlons and ironmans) are inspirational, to me.

Anyway, besides reading and of course doing some research for my assignment, and spending some time with guagua in the mornings, running and cycling has been pretty consistent. Track intervals, bricks training, longer bike and runs and long trail runs on weekends have been a regular feature. I think I had better enjoyed this time before next semester's epic four-module lessons per week.

I was looking at some old photos of students who passed through my life over the past few years posted on fb by a friend, I can't stop wondering in awe how time has whizzed past. Things changed, people grown and changed, even the last school I taught in changed; people come people go. One thing that I seemed to get is people tends to be resistant or reluctant to usher in change. Change makes people uncomfortable because it shifts people into unknown, to face uncertainty. I am thinking hard now, of what I would Iike to do after my studies or for the next stage of my life. I should perhaps choose the one less traveled?


Two weeks to deadline. Better start putting my thoughts together for the assignment. B-P

No comments: